One stop setup and reset guide for Linksys Routers
Linksys is known as one of the top players in the PC peripherals segment. Its PC networking devices and products are used worldwide, both in domestic setups and corporate networking setups of varying sizes and types.
The company manufactures a wide range of Wi-Fi solutions-including dual band Wi-Fi routers, Wi-Fi range extenders and specialized Mesh Wi-Fi system etc. The Wi-Fi solutions and routers sold by Linksys not only offer blazing internet access speed, but they also come with top notch security features.
You can connect a Linksys router with a variety of PCs and web access devices inducing gaming consoles and Smartphones.
About Linksys Routers
The Linksys routers are aimed at a very wide range of users, including those into heavy gaming with the need for high bandwidth and those who need to use several web access devices on the same Wi-Fi connection. It also has routers aimed especially at the corporate users. You can go through linksys router login and it will not even take half an hour!
Linksys Router login: things that you will need
- A computer (laptop or desktop)
- The Linksys router
- An Ethernet cable
- A web browser
Linksys Router login: a step by step guide
While a Linksys router can be connected wirelessly to the PC to perform the initial setup and login, it is better that you use an Ethernet cable to do the same. This ensures the connection is stable and interference with other routers in the vicinity can be evaded.
- At first, connect the PC with the router with an Ethernet cable.
- Next, turn on the computer and router. The router LEDs will blink and it may take some time before the router is ready to be used. Once it is ready, the LEDs will stabilize.
- You will have to access the login page of the Linksys router. This is somewhat like the computers BIOS.
- To access the Linksys router login page, you will have to use a browser. To evade any compatibility issue stick to popular ones like Firefox or Chrome.
- Launch the browser and in its address bar type “192.168.1.1”. Then, press enter.
- At the next stage, you will need to type in the login credentials.
- For most Linksys router models the default password remains admin.
- The password is also admin or password. If these do not work, check the documentation that came with the router model.
- The LinkSys Router Admin page will now pop up. You will see various networking and router settings in the UI. From one model to another UI structure and features will vary.
- You may change various settings, but do so only when you are well versed in networking.
Linksys router reset guide
Under certain situations, you may have to reset your Linksys router to the default factory settings. This can be need when you somehow forget the router’s login password or find someone has tinkered with router settings- affecting performance and speed severely.
There are 2 ways to reset a Linksys router to factory level settings. One is software UI based and other is hardware reset.
Using the hardware reset method
- Every Linksys router comes with a hardware reset button, though location may vary from one model to another.
- The button is typically recessed and you may have to use nail or a pin to press it. Press and hold the router’s reset button for approx 10 seconds.
- The Power Led will blink and the routers will go through a reboot sequence. After it restarts, you will have to run the initial setup once more. Besides, unplugging and re plugging the device will be required after the reset is done.
Using the software based reset method
- Type in the default login credentials for your router and hit enter.
- As the web UI appear, navigate to Administration > Factory Defaults.
- From there, choose Restore Factory Defaults button and click on it.
- This will reset the device and it will be rebooted once. After the reboot is done, you will have to run configuration setup once. The router will take some time before it is ready for running configuration setup and the blinking LEDs will stabilize gradually. The method will vary based on what type of internet connection you use- cable or DSL.
No matter which method you choose for resetting a Linksys router, change the Wi-Fi access password post resetting the device for safety reasons.