Netgear router login and reset guide
Netgear is one of the leading PC peripherals and networking device manufacturers and its routers are much sought after everywhere. Its routers, modems and hubs are preferred a lot for their blend of features and performance. Apart from giving you the means to access internet at high speeds using various types of PCs and devices, Netgear devices also offer a good level of security. Setting up Netgear wireless or wired routers is not tedious at all. It can be done by anyone with basic knowledge of computers and networking.
About Netgear Routers
Netgear manufactures a wide range of routers aimed at different types of users. It sells wifi routers aimed at general users, dual and tri band routers, routers aimed at hardcore gamers and routers meant for corporate usage, for example. However, the setting up process for most of the Netgear router devices is nearly the same. You can complete Netgear router login process within a few minutes in most instances.
Netgear router login: what you will need
- A computer (laptop or desktop) with necessary ports
- A web browser
- The Netgear router
- An Ethernet cable
If you want to connect to the router wirelessly, using wifi of your computer will be necessary.
Netgear router login process: Step by Step
Now, you need to follow the below listed steps to complete Netgear router login process:
- At first, you will have to connect the Netgear Router to the desktop or laptop PC. Once the connection is working, you can configure it or change default networking settings. To connect the router with your PC, an RJ45 cable is required.
- Now, you have to turn on both the PC and router.
- Now, you have to get access to the log in page of the router. This is akin to accessing firmware setting of the device. This can be done by using a web browser. You can use almost any web browser, but using popular browsers like Chrome or Firefox is advisable. Launch the browser and then in its URL bar type in http://192.168.1.1or http://192.168.0.1. This is the default IP address of most routers, including those made by Netgear.
- Now, a prompt for username and password will pop up. Typically, the username is admin and password is admin or password. However, in some routers this may not be the case. You will have to check up the documentation for username and password. Remember that both password and username is case sensitive.
- After logging in, you will see the Netgear Router Admin page. Here the router and networking settings are displayed under various tabs. The UI and menu structure may not be the same in all models though.
- Typically, most Netgear models have a setting called Setup wizard, found under ‘Advanced’ menu. This will help you get a glimpse at the configuration. Next, you should change the wifi password which is located under ‘Wireless settings’.
- You can also check out the other menus and settings. However, to make sure you do not make any undesirable change, use the manual.
Netgear router reset
Sometimes, you may have to reset your Netgear router. This can be necessitated by someone inadvertently changing the router’s settings- causing problems in internet access. You may also face, speed issues.
Step by step method for Netgear router reset
There are basically 2 methods for resetting Netgear routers.
Method 1: This is what you will need to do for the majority of Netgear router models.
- Locate the Reset button. It is typically positioned at the back of the device. This is a small round button and a bit recessed.
- Now, you may insert a bent paper clip into the recessed button.
- Press and hold the button for a few seconds. You will see the router’s power Led blinking.
- Now, you may release the recessed button.
- Now, the router will go through a reboot sequence and the power light will glow. It will be restored to default factory settings. So, you will have to set it up again and configure the device.
Method 2: This may be required for a few Netgear router models like the DG834Gv5 or DGN2000.
- Locate the buttons WPS and Wireless, typically positioned at the side of the router.
- Now, press both WPS and Wireless buttons and hold them simultaneously for a few seconds.
- The power LED will blink with red hues.
- Now, you may release the buttons. The router will now undergo a reboot sequence and the power Led will glow solid.
- Next, you will have to set it up as per the manual.