There are many ways to access the internet, but using a Wi-Fi router is probably the most widely used options. You can find standalone router devices in the market, but there are some brands like Comcast who sell integrated modem and routers, using the term ‘gateways’ for smooth wireless internet access. The Xfinity by Comcast is one such example.
These devices let you access internet minus wires at high speeds. These devices are ideal for use in both residential and corporate setups. However, it is necessary to know the basic troubleshooting for Xfinity router modem devices.
Restarting the Xfinity gateways properly
When you find the Xfinity router modem device is acting weird and issues like dropping connection are recurring, you may resort to restarting. Unless it is an internal hardware issue, restarting usually resolves such internet access related problems. It is also ideal to cope with frequent network loss issues. The process is simple and takes only a few minutes, as it is. Networking experts think that periodic device restarts help optimize the performance of the network.
- • At first, you will have to log in to your account using your Xfinity password and user name at xfinity.com/myaccount.
- • Then, scroll down and pick the option Manage Internet.
- • Once the UI appears, select the option Restart Modem.
- • Next, click on Start Troubleshooting and the device will reboot. This will take up to 6-7 minutes.
- • You should be able to access the gateway and connect to the web without issues soon.
Restarting the Xfinity gateways through the app
There is an alternative to restart the Xfinity router modem. You can use the Xfinity My Account App for the same purpose.
- • At first, launch the Xfinity My Account app on your iOS device or Android phone.
- • Scroll down the UI and then select the option Internet tile.
- • Pick your modem and pick the option to Restart this device.
- • The reboot will begin and may take 7 minutes approx.
- • You will be able to log in normally and start using the device.
Basic troubleshooting for your Xfinity internet connection and gateway
If you find you have trouble connecting to the web using your Xfinity router modem or gateway, it is time for troubleshooting! It may not always be owing to something serious!
- 1. At first, you need to check if all devices are plugged in properly into the outlets and if any connecting cables are loose or not. The cables between the PC and the gateway and any other cables, all should be checked well.
- 2. Also, check if the notification LEDs is lit or not. If the LEDs keep on blinking and do not emit a solid glow, there is something wrong.
- 3. If the cables are well connected and rebooting the device does not resolve the issues, you may have to reset it.
Resetting a Comcast Xfinity Gateway
Resetting a Xfinity gateway typically resolves many internet access related problems, beyond doubt. However, you have to remember that resetting the device erases all internet access configuration settings. There are basically 2 ways to reset a router. In some cases, you can reset the device using software based UI. However, hard reset is best to get the device back in shape. As a precautionary step, keep the device manual handy before you reset it.
- • At first, you have to locate the device’s reset button. In most cases, this small recessed button is located at the back of such devices, but sometimes it may be placed at the side too.
- • The button may have to be pressed using a pin or nail.
- You have to press and keep it pressed for 10-15 seconds. However, refer to your Xfinity device manuals for the details.
- • The device will be reset and a reboot sequence will launch. The device will take some minutes to reach the usable stage. The LEDs will blink fast and slowly they will emit a solid glow, indicating a stabilized state.
- • Now, you will have to log on the device’s web UI using default IP configuration and password. At this phase, you may have to use the device manually to get these credentials.
- • After the login is done, you may change the settings to suit your usage needs. Changing the wifi password is something you should not skip.
In the rare case, resetting your Comcast Infiniti router does not resolve the operational issues, it can be owing to a hardware problem beyond your troubleshooting capability. The only option left is contacting customer care.